Getting through a divorce can be an extremely challenging event financially, physically and emotionally. There are legal issues involved including the dividing of property, and child custody. You need to find ways to start over literally and figuratively. Finding your new identity will take time and patience. Your emotions can definitely take over during such a chaotic time in your life.
Getting a hold of your emotions is an important step in the process of getting your life back together and feeling whole again. Finding the meaning behind the experience of divorce and making sense of your own feelings can help you to restore peace in your life. A roller coaster of emotions can arise from divorce, including grief, guilt, anger, confusion, fear, shame, depression, and anxiety. There are also several “stages” to both the act of divorce and the emotions that one goes through.
Finding your own way to grieve and deal with the emotions in a way that makes sense to deal with your divorce is an important part of the entire process. Some healthy ways to channel your grief could be:
- Surround yourself with people who are supportive that you can talk to such as family members and friends.
- Joining community organizations. Feeling a part of a larger group can help
- Find activities that you enjoy. Try a new sport, start volunteering, or learn a new language
- Therapy. Working through the how’s, why’s, and what if’s with a trained professional can help the healing process greatly after a divorce
- Spirituality. Looking deep into your spiritual self, or finding a higher power can often help people find a new sense of self.
The most important thing to remember when going through a divorce is that you’re not alone. Many people have gone through the process and come out on the other side of it!